Homemade beef broth, farm fresh vegetables and savory herbs can mean only one thing. Fall. Yes, fall means comfort food and comfort food means homemade soup. The smell alone stirs up feelings of home, comfort, and coziness.
The best part of making and enjoying a savory soup is knowing the tremendous health benefits it imparts. Farm fresh vegetables are loaded with vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Spices such as ginger and turmeric are anti-inflamatory. Homemade bone broth made from pastured beef bones is loaded with gut-healing, immune boosting properties. Vegetables sautéed in pastured beef tallow become rich in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), an essential fatty acid vital to health, especially weight control.
In fact, Dr. Mercola reports on CLA in his article, "The Secret Sauce in Grass Fed Beef",
"A host of research has been conducted on animals, under microscopes, and with humans to determine the impact of CLA on disease. Results have shown CLA to be a potent ally for combating:
- Cancer: Animal studies show that as little as 0.5 percent CLA in your diet could reduce tumors by over 50 percent, including the following types of cancer:
- Cardiovascular disease
- High blood pressure
- High Cholesterol and triglycerides
- Insulin Resistance: CLA’s actions actually mimic the effect of synthetic diabetic drugs. Testing on mice with type 2 diabetes have shown CLA to improve insulin action and reduce circulating glucose. Even better, the early results from human trials are just as positive, when consuming CLA for longer than eight weeks.
- Immune system invaders
- Food-induced allergic reactions
- Body Composition: Exciting research with humans has shown that CLA has been beneficial in lowering body fat, with even greater improvement in those who combine exercise with dietary intake of CLA. Animal research has been even more promising, with significant improvements seen in both reducing body fat and in increasing lean body mass.
- Previous studies have shown that CLA reduces body fat while preserving muscle tissue, and may also increase your metabolic rate."
Curried Lentil-Cabbage SoupThis recipe is budget-friendly, deliciously simple and uses ingredients you already have in your cupboard. Best of all, it is satisfying and healing. Serve with your favorite homemade bread for a warming, fall dinner.
Ingredients:4 - 5 cups beef bone broth or vegetable broth
4 carrots, sliced
1/2 large cabbage, chopped
4 celery stalks, sliced
3 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
1 onion, diced
1 cup cooked lentils
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons pastured beef tallow or coconut oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon ginger, powdered
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions1. In a large stock pot, sauté until tender all chopped vegetables in beef tallow or coconut oil (20 - 30 minutes).
2. Pour broth into the stock pot.
3. Add lentils, rice and spices. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes and serve.
Would you like to learn how to render beef fat and make your own tallow? Make your own beef bone broth? Let me know.
-- Two Peas